It was lovely to welcome the author Gill Lewis to our book club during EarthWyz to discuss her novel White Dolphin which was a winner of the Green Earth Book Award. So many questions were asked by our avid readers who were so absorbed in hearing her ideas on how to write a book and especially on how to develop the characters. Her passion on keeping wild animals safe really shone through which obviously plays a big part in her writing. She also gave us a brief insight into her new book Sky Dancer which is out in October – we can’t wait.
Later, Gill got Year 6 into the mood by performing gorilla sounds and Year 6 really enjoyed copying her back. Gill spoke to Year 6 about looking after our planet and animal conservation. She had some great stories of successful animal rescues and told the children about the areas she has visited in research for her books. A very enjoyable hour and a half.
Quotes from the children:
- “I loved seeing Gill Lewis again. I had lots of questions to ask her about her books and it was great to have my questions answered.”
- “It was such fun being a fish in the sea. I really understood Gill’s message when the Scallop dredger went through and killed the sea base, followed by everything else.”
- “Gill Lewis was great fun and I was very happy that she came to Hazlegrove to be part of our Festival.”
- “Gill Lewis was fantastic!”
- “Thank you Gill Lewis for being our Patron of our EarthWyz Festival.”